Friday, September 2, 2011

What a Couple of Weeks!

We have had a couple of exciting weeks here in Richmond, Virginia!  First, on August 23 we had a 5.9 earthquake that scared the bejezus out of me.  I was at home with the girls (who thankfully were sleeping) when the house started shaking and swaying.  Thank goodness we were all ok, but it shook me up (literally and figuratively).  One of the worse parts of the experience was when both cell phones and landlines wouldn't work.  In fact, it took 6 hours for Trey to receive the text I sent him letting him know we were alright.

Just 4 days later, Hurricane Irene hit.  Once again we were very blessed.  We only had a few limbs fall into the yard and we never lost electricity.  Many other people did not fare as well.  Huge trees are down all over the Richmond area, many of them landing on houses and cars.  As of today, six days after the storm, many of my friends and co-workers still do not have power. 

And while all of this was going on, my mom came to visit and to watch the girls while I went back to work for teacher work week.   Teacher work week actually turned into only three days since Monday and Tuesday were cancelled due to the hurricane.  It was great having the two extra days to spend with my mom.  While she was here, we shopped, ate good food, weathered a hurricane (and then cleaned up the aftermath!), and just hung out.  It was wonderful to watch her interacting with Reagan and Madilynn who both love Grandma Patty. 

She had to leave around 11:00 on Friday morning.  When Reagan woke up from her nap, I was home from work.  I asked her if Grandma Patty left and she said, "Yes, I waved goodbye, and then I was very sad."  Me too, sweetie.  But I'm sure we'll see her again soon.  We love you and miss you, Grandma!


No comments:

Post a Comment