Thursday, October 6, 2011

Sweet bliss.

Dear Madilynn,

Tonight you were fussy; tired but refusing to fall asleep.  So I took you into my room and laid with you in my bed.  It was dusk, so the room was cast with long shadows.  There was just enough light to make out your tiny features.

I propped myself on a couple of pillows, and you curled along my ribs with your head heavy in the crook of my elbow.  It is hard to believe that only seven short months ago you were still nestled deep in my belly. 

You quickly settled and fell into a peaceful sleep.  It was the kind of sleep that inspired the phrase, "She's sleeping like a baby."  On this very busy day sandwiched in a very busy week, I am so happy I took these few minutes to truly be with you.  Your warm weight pressed into me, leaving a mark forever on my soul.  You curled your warm hands under my chin, as I gently traced your round face.  You have my nose. 

I listened to your deep inhale and exhale, watched your eyes flutter, kissed your forehead.  I know that I will not always be able to keep you safe, unphased by the harsh realities that you will soon have to grow up in.  But I will always remember this moment in time, when it was just me and you in our little cacoon.

Sweet dreams, baby girl.  Sweet dreams.

I love you forever and always,

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment